Friday, April 6, 2007

$5,000 to Write a Press Release?

Yesterday, I stumbled upon Business Wire’s blog, BusinessWired.

For nearly six years I worked as an editor/newsroom supervisor at the commercial news distributor’s Phoenix office. During that time, I had the opportunity to edit thousands of press releases. And, while the topics changed each day, I remember there was always one constant: poor writing.

For the most part, anyone who submitted a press release had at least a grasp of grammar and newsworthiness, but many times we received releases in the newsroom that more resembled a sixth-grader’s book report than something worthy of distribution on an international newswire.

This often led me to wonder who was writing these press releases and, more importantly, how much were they getting paid to push products using -- in some cases -- virtually unintelligible writing.

That’s why it was interesting to read Monika Maeckle’s recent post, which posed the question, “How Much to Write a Press Release?

She revealed a client of hers spends about $5,000 to have a press release written.

Wow! What company is that and how can I get a piece of the action? Amazingly, that fee doesn’t include distribution, which can run “anywhere from $180 to $18,000” on Business Wire.

My guess is any press release with a $5,000 price tag is likely an extensive (and extremely well-written) earnings announcement, but even then that fee seems a little excessive. A valid point was brought up in the responses by someone who said the $5,000 could include legal advice.

Over the past couple of months, I’ve distributed a few press releases on Business Wire, and I’ve been very satisfied with the results. However, my investment was nowhere near what it seems some companies are paying to pick up publicity. What’s more, as a copywriter who provides press release writing services, I have yet to meet anyone willing to fork over $5,000 for a press release.

I must be searching the wrong places.

No comments: