Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Tips a Toddler Can Teach You About Writing Effective Marketing Literature

A few weeks ago, I was given an opportunity to work on a project that involved two of my all-time favorite activities: writing and basketball. For an avid hoops fan like me, there are few times I’ve been as excited about a new assignment as I was that Friday afternoon.

My enthusiasm continued growing as I drove home from the meeting. Not only could I not wait to start writing, I was eager to reveal the details of my latest project. Surely, there was someone who could share in my excitement -- and I knew that person was waiting for me at home.

As soon as I swung open the back door, I was greeted with the familiar pitter-patter of my 18-month-old daughter’s feet on the wood floor.

I leaned over, picked her up and enthusiastically blurted out, “Hey, Mary, you want to hear about Daddy’s new project?”

No sooner had the words left my lips when she replied with the one word her limited vocabulary allows.

“No!”

Thinking back, this incident reminds me how much we can learn just by interacting with a toddler, even when it comes to writing marketing literature.

When my daughter responded, there was no question she knew exactly what she wanted, just like the audience that reads your marketing literature. They want to know what your product or service can do for them. On top of that, your prospects are concerned with being happy.

That’s why most motives for making purchases are based on emotions. Think about why you bought your last car. How about that outfit you saw hanging in the window at the mall? What about your house?

Wouldn’t you agree that -- on some level -- the reason for these buys was the same as why children enjoy jumping around in mud puddles?

Your purchases make you happy.

Since you know your prospects want to make “happy” decisions, use your writing to explain the specific benefits of responding to your call to action (but don’t forget to remind readers what they will lose by not taking action). When you focus on good feelings, your response rates will increase.

Also, just as parents stress honesty with their children, do the same with your copy. False promotions and bait-and-switch schemes create more critics than customers.

Your prospects demand honest benefits, and the best way you can provide them is through testimonials they can relate to. The success of your marketing literature relies on the proof your customers provide. If there is a particular aspect of your business that is a well-known benefit for your target audience, a few positive comments written in your marketing literature will help turn your prospects from skeptics to supporters.

In some cases, you may need to persuade your readers with an incentive. With kids, this practice is often referred to as bribery. While children have been known to clean messy rooms in exchange for ice cream, adults must be convinced using something with perceived value. Strive to give your prospects more than what they’re expecting.

In these situations, write an irresistible offer (free offers work well) or -- even better -- back up your product or service with a guarantee. A guarantee in writing gives you instant credibility. If you’re willing to put the risk on yourself, prospects will feel like you truly believe in your product or service.

And, finally, like any toddler, your prospects have limited patience for anything that doesn’t concern them. It’s only natural. People often put their own interests before others, especially when it comes to buying decisions. That’s why you want to write early in your copy the specific reasons why doing business with you is advantageous.

After all, you are better than your competition, right?

No comments: