Monday, March 26, 2007

Why Would I Want a Blog?

Over and over I heard (and read) countless reasons why blogging was beneficial for me and my business.

Sure, I understood how it was another medium for showcasing my articles about copywriting and marketing. Yes, I knew it could help increase the search engine rankings on my websites. Heck, I even saw that executives at many of the world’s most recognized companies had started blogging.

But even after seeing these benefits, I rejected the idea of creating a blog. The primary reason was because I was still convinced that blogging was primarily seen a means for people (with too much time on their hands) to journal private thoughts to an online audience.

However, this perception started changing a few months ago. In fact, I even considered launching a blog earlier this year, but I still wasn’t totally convinced that blogging was for me.

Until …

Last month I received a project that involved writing an article about the benefits of blogging for the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce’s IMPACT Magazine. Included in that assignment was a request to interview Jason Baer, founder and senior director of Mighty Interactive, an Internet marketing agency in Tempe, Arizona.

It was after completing this interview with Jason -- whose blog receives 5,000-7,000 visits each month -- that I finally decided to venture into the world of blogging.

If you would like to see the article that converted me into a blog backer, you can view it here (scroll down to page 13).

Truth be told, there are two other people who helped persuade me as well because I visit their blogs often -- Joe Vitale and Chris Tingom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out, Tom :) The best thing about any blog, business or otherwise, is the conversation you get into.